How to become an ISP
In starting an ISP, the basic tasks you will want to
For funding, both Canada and the USA have rural broadband
initiatives that can supply grants (Canada) or loans (USA). For Canada, see http://www.ic.gc.ca/cmb/innovation.nsf.
For the USA, see http://www.usda.gov/rus/telecom/broadband.htm.
- Securing funding for the project
- Acquiring the equipment needed
- Contracting for a backbone (Internet) connection
- Contracting for telephone services (unless using
- Installing, configuring, and testing all equipment
- Marketing and managing your ISP